We come from a variety of countries, and while our children can attend school in a common language at times (often English), most parents desire that their child(ren) be ready to return to their passport country to attend university or pursue a career. How can your children maintain their mother tongue while receiving an English or another language education? What are other things that our TCKs need to be prepared for as they navigate living in their passport country? Filling the Gaps offers some ideas.
The links below provide the following information from some of our staffs’ sending countries. Parents and educators may benefit from this content. Please send updated information or add comments at the bottom of this page.
- Schooling system overview (years of schooling, major testing years, are kids put in specialty tracks?…)
- In-country resources available to families (approved curriculums, Web sites…)
- Cultural differences teachers should know about (especially things that could affect the classroom overseas)
- Challenges/recommendations for MKs on furlough
- Challenges/recommendations for MKs returning to passport country for university
La Suisse (Française)